Have a company policy for lost W2s

It is common for an employee to request a copy of a lost W2 and usually very simple for the employer to duplicate.  To avoid sending a copy to the wrong person (ex- spouse) or mailing to the wrong address, create a company policy to accommodate these requests.  Suggestions are to require requests in writing containing the date and signature of the employee.  Be sure to type “reissued statement” on the top right hand corner of the W2 and make a note of the date and address of mailing.

To avoid lost W2s, upload electronic copies to a secure portal.  This feature is available free with several payroll programs, call your WOB Advisor for more information.

Tags: payroll
« Back to Blog